Thursday, April 25, 2013

Reclaimed Wood Stump Tables/Stools

My first "adventure" into creating home furnishings from reclaimed wood came be chance. I was unloading some landscape material into the Sandestin landscape dump and discovered a large pine log. I had seen photos in design magazines of stump tables and thought, I could make one. So, back to the dump with my chain saw, cut up the log, took it home and made it into table. Now what to do? I decided to let my daughter Lisa, an Atlanta interior designer, sell it in the Atlanta market. Surprise - they sold. Back to the dump I went, and found a large magnolia tree log. Cut this up, finished them, and sold them. I am in business I thought. Then I ran out of logs at the dump. In searching Northern Florida for alternative wood sources, I came across Bruner Lumber and their deadhead cypress. A love affair started between me and old cypress. Eventually my stump tables evolved into larger tables, stools, sculptures and home accessories. This blog will show my stump tables/stools. Enjoy.

Here are my first stump tables. They are pine with a natural finish. Great for tables or stools.

Here are 2 cypress and 2 magnolia tree stump tables/stools. All are around 18" high - good for a side table or a stool.

These two magnolia stumps were reclaimed from a landscape dump. Fun to see what "discarded" natural items can be made into.

This is a deadhead cypress stump table or stool. The log is probably over 300 years old and was reclaimed from a Florida river.

Well, here is old Gabby with one of his favorites in a natural finish. My head looks as shiny as the table top.

This old magnolia stump surprised me with how it turned out. The natural grey/brown and the grain really comes out with a natural finish.

This is a very old deadhead cypress log. It was found in the scrap yard of a sawmill. It has over 400 life rings. With it being in the river for 120 years, this historic log is over 500 years old.

Oops. This is not a stump table, unless you call me stumpy. Del and I and our grandkids had a great fishing day out of Destin Harbor in March. This is a sheepshead, and are they GOOD to eat.

Well, off to the saw mill to get more "treasures" to create. Take care.

John "Gabby" Gabrielson
Natural Creations
Miramar Beach, Florida
johngabrielson5@gmail.com

1 comments:

Hanan said...

what a fun blog! thanks for sharing your enjoyment of nature.

-Hannah

Post a Comment